No....this is not a Newspaper Headline shtick featured on Jay Leno's Tonight Show!
This is just a heartfelt expression commemorating an important event in our lives 8 days ago, when our 1st grandchild, Victor Alexander was born.
A human life experiences many changes....self awareness, sensations, emotions, learning events, experiences, value system definition, curiosity, exploration, safeguarding, ambitions, desires, accomplishments, rewards, challenges, persistence, determination, failure, success, acknowledgement, pride, satisfaction, benevolence, love, willingness, care, resignation, loss of self....
Needless to say, not all in that order, nor in sequence, nor intensity, nor applicable to all. But yes..changes that effect us all emotionally, professionally, spiritually, and physically as well.
Something so subtle...as to be a father one day...and a grandfather the next...is not something that has effected me physically nor professionally but rather spiritually and ....yes....emotionally. Both in very intangible and not easily explainable ways.
Spiritually, in that the creation of a new soul....(regardless of what naysayer's may believe)...increases the population of souls in the universe...call it "the collective soul" if you will. Some may argue not in quantity...but maybe in the opportunity for getting our existence right...one more soul at a time as in the case of Johnathan Livingston Seagull.
Emotionally, in that seeing the face of a newborn child and having an immediate instinctual identification with a body and soul that is somehow physically and emotionally tied to you and your ancestors.....well, it's just a happy feeling, that's all I can say.
This little package has now transitioned into a new world...outside of the womb because life is pre-programmed for change. This causes change in life for the infant, new ways to breath, new ways to eat, new things to understand, and so on...and so on...as I explained above.
Not only does this effect the infant, but inextricably the parents, beginning with the mother who must (because life is pre-programmed for change) tend and care, lactate, and worry, and continuing with the father who must protect, evaluate, and provide.
And then come the siblings of the parents, who are now aunts and uncles who are anxious to get to know the new life which has been bestowed into their new honoring.
And finally the grandparents...ah yes the grandparents....how does this change life? How does life change?
- For starters....Grandma has a new infatuation...and a new cover name, "Glam-ma" I believe is the current "boomer" vernacular!
- Grandpa...aka ME! Would really rather be called "Abuelo"
- Square footage at home has now been allocated to baby paraphernalia
- My wife's time has been booked out into the future in uncertain and endless terms
- Our retirement hope of unobstructed travel and leisure is somewhat clouded and re-prioritised
- The reflection in the mirror showing grey hair, wrinkles, and other signs of aging now seems somewhat justified! A unique "AH-HA" moment!
- You find yourself smiling whilst observing the frustration your son or daughter is now going through, thinking back to when you experienced the same sensation!
- You recall how when you were first parents, how much you disliked how everyone feels like they need to tell you how and what to do, yet in fact ...you really did need to count on the experience of those who have already experienced it...for the difficult calls..at least.
- Lastly, in philosophy, the way you look at your life, and the products of life, and why you do what you do, and why you are the way you are.....because life has been pre-programmed for change!
Enjoy the ride! There's a new experience around every new corner.....